Advanced Performance Management
Using Systems Thinking
Performance Management is one of the most misunderstood subjects by many managers and leaders. This has resulted in a huge waste in resources, time and money. Also, this resulted in environmental crises ,accidents and fatalities. This is done with "good intention" and based on misunderstanding of terms and misapplication.
Performance management goes beyond mere application of certain steps to measure performance. The meaning ,benefit and outcome of performance measurement depends greatly the goals, managers' and staff's believes in these goals. Usually, managers and staff are busy with their day to day work following certain procedures they used to follow automatically. This has resulted in ignoring their thinking abilities which , ultimately, result in loosing organization's intellectual assets and ceasing learning from performance.
Most management consulting and training providers are either of human resources or organizational development background. HR consultants usually ignore the organizational development side of the organization going with the assumption that human resources are the main contributor in organizational performance. The same goes with consultants with organizational development background. In fact, both HR and OD sides of organizations should be considered in any performance improvement project. Otherwise, all what will happen are "Short Term Improvements" which will definitely result in "Long Term Losses". This is a result of "Command and Control" management style which forces managers and staff to show "QUICK FIXES" not considering long term "Undesired Outcomes". This needs to be changed at the "THINKING" level actually.
We designed this program to bridge a gap that exists in most organizations with regard to performance management. Participants will acquire advanced skills that will enable them to identify best ways to measure and manage performance in their organizations. This will enable organizations to invest their current resources and convert them into capabilities which will increase productivity, quality and safety. This will also invest in organizations' intellectual assets which is usually ignored.
This program will provide participants with practical skills and knowledge necessary to form proper understanding and implementation of the Balance Scorecards. The program will enable participants to use the Balanced Scorecards in alignment with the organizational vision, strategic objectives, strategic initiatives and KPIs and a comprehensive performance management system. Also, participants will learn the skills of building strategy maps using the Balanced Scorecards tools. Participants will learn the proper use of KPIs.
Program will be conducted per the following plan;
There are always better ways to do things. The way we do things now is based on how we THINK. Improving organizational and individual's performance starts at the THINKING level. This program will introduce you to the most advanced THINKING methodologies that represents the base for any quality system or performance improvement initiative in all types of businesses.
Program will be tailored to suit your business by addressing case examples and case studies that you could bring with you to the program.
This program targets professionals, engineers and managers. It is also a great opportunity for senior management to help them identify potential cost saving, productivity and safety improvement opportunities.
The program consists of the following Modules: -
Module I: Systems Thinking
- Methods of systemic thinking.
- The helicopter view.
- Understanding "systems"
- System\ic thinking as a strategic tool for managing performance.
- The new role of human resources in systems.
- Definition of "Thinking Organization"
- Definition of "learning organization."
- Why do some organizations did not succeed in becoming "Learning Organizations"?
- Learning organization basic attributes: - (Personal Mastery, Mental models, Shared vision, Team Learning & Systems Thinking)
- Definition of systemic thinking.
- Types of systems: open and closed.
- Model to understand current reality.
- How do you understand your organization as a "system."
- The hero and scapegoat model.
- The transition from the stage of making decisions based on personal opinion to the stage of making decisions based on "data."
- The impact of system design on human errors.
- The impact of mental models on the creativity, performance, quality and safety.
- An alternative view of human errors.
- Confusion between safety and reliability. A "Reliable" system is not necessarily a safe one!
- Performance and continuous learning through ABCD model.
- Understand of KPI's.
- Systemic thinking as a tool for creativity
- Quick Fixes model
- The transition from "problem-solution" to "preventive" strategies.
- How to select smart KPI's.
- What is Performance Management and why do we need it?
Module II: Performance Management through Systems Thinking & Balanced Scorecards
- Mixing System's performance management with HR’s.
- Why Balanced Scorecard is most popular among others?
- What is Balanced Scorecards?
- Understand the "proper" and "improper" uses of Balanced Scorecards.
- Negative consequences of using Balanced Scorecards to manage People's performance.
- How to implement Balanced Scorecards in business.
- What are strategy maps?
- How to Build successful strategy map using Balanced Scorecards.
- From vision to strategic objectives, strategic initiatives and KPIs.
- The art of selecting the right KPIs.
- The RISK of using the wrong KPI's with real example from local market.
Who should attend this program?
Business men and women
Those interested to join our Performance Improvement Train the Trainers program
Those interested to join our Balanced Scorecards Train the Trainers program